Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sestinas, Pt 1

Hopefully tomorrow will follow with a part 2.

I have until tomorrow night at 11p EST to write a sestina in order to enter it in the Blogher Poetry Contest. This is the format, taken from the post on Blogher:

"Stanza One: A, B, C, D, E, F
Stanza Two: F, A, E, B, D, C
Stanza Three: C, F, D, A, B, E
Stanza Four: E, C, B, F, A, D
Stanza Five: D, E, A, C, F, B
Stanza Six: B, D, F, E, C, A
Envoy: uses two end-words per line (with three lines total) with one word appearing in the middle of the line and the other word still being utilized as an end word."

I have attempted the sestina twice before, and I suck at it. I love the challenge of a fixed form, as much as I love the freedom of an open form poem. But the sestina can be SO tough! When I have tried in the past, I have always picked 6 random nouns-completely random-and tried to force them into a prosy story that fits the format. Both poems are left unfinished in a notebook somewhere, because they really did suck. This time I am still going to go with some random words, but I'm not going to go with just nouns. Maybe that will help. If not I will still force myself to finish, even if it is past the deadline for the contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment