Monday, April 2, 2012

April Challenges Bring...

...about renewed commitment to writing? ...a sense of accomplishment? ...a reason to search for excuses to get out of writing? ...all of the above?

My timing for getting back into the whole blogging thing happens to coincide with
National Poetry Month, and in honor means the NaBloPoMo theme for April is Poetry! So even though I'm a day or two late I'm going to attempt this challenge. Along with any other random post I write, I will also post something involving poetry.

There are daily prompts available on Blogher based on the monthly theme, and while I won't use them everyday I liked today's prompt:

"What was the first poem you ever memorized?"

While I may have memorized a few lines here and there before 7th grade, the first few stanzas of 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam' was the first I consciously had to memorize then recite in front of my 7th grade English class. I still remember the very first stanza, but since I haven't reread the poem in more than a decade I can't really recall any other lines. I was so nervous reciting it, which is funny because up until mid-Junior High I had never really cared about talking in class or anything, I even seemed to enjoy it. That time though, I was terrified, and have remained nervous and scared of public speaking ever since. While I could almost blame my fear of speaking on that one instance, almost, I defintely can credit my love of poetry to it.

"Hark, for morning in the bowl of night,
has flung the stone that sets the stars to flight.
And lo, the hunter in the east has caught
the Sultan's turret in a noose of light."

No comments:

Post a Comment