Friday, April 6, 2012

Favorite Poems

Lots of people can easily tell you who their favorite poet is or which poem they've read has made the most impact on their lives. I cannot tell you such a thing, because I can never pick a definite favorite anything. I love nearly every single book I have ever read. I love nearly every single song I like--if I don't like it I certainly don't love it. I love quite a few poems and poets and can't really say which would be my favorite. Well, I could say that I am my own favorite poet, but I have been slacking and am unpublished etc, so that would just be conceited on my part.

The closest I have to a current favorite is Langston Hughes' Evil. I have had it as my signature on one of my personal email accounts for a year or two. It is a short poem, a single stanza of four lines, but it is powerful. He was referring to racial injustice, but it can be applied to any theme in anyone's life..It's saying "Look this really pisses me off, and it may not piss you off yet but you're going to hear enough about it from me that soon enough you'll be pissed off too!" He just says it much better than me!!

If you've found your way to my blog today, what poem inspires or moves you?

Evil

Looks like what drives me crazy
Don't have no effect on you-
But I'm gonna keep on at it
Till it drives you crazy, too.

Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment